Orange and Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies
This recipe is a funky twist on orange and poppyseed muffins.. but in cookie form! If you think it sounds like a match made in heaven, wait until you try them!
Soft, crumbly, tangy, and crunchy, these tummy-friendly shortbread cookies are delicious and super easy to make. Enjoy them with a cup of tea as they melt in your mouth.
Ingredients (serves 12)
- 100g butter, soft
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 3 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 orange zest
- 1 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- Place the butter, sugar and egg yolks into a blender and mix until fluffy and light in colour.
- Pour in the orange zest and juice and mix until combined.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix until a dough forms.
- Fold through the poppyseeds.
- Transfer the dough in between two sheets of baking paper and roll into the desired thickness using a rolling pin.
- Place into the fridge to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing mixture (icing sugar and water) until a thick paste is formed.
- Once the dough has cooled, cut into your desired shape and bake for approximately 10 minutes at 160 degrees Celsius.
- Allow the cookies to cool before topping with icing mixture (optional) and ENJOY!