Saucy Asian Noodles
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 2 ½ Tbsp oyster sauce (or vegetarian oyster sauce)
- 2 ½ Tbsp kecap manis (also called ketjap/kicap manis or sweet soy sauce)
- 1 ½ Tbsp sambal oeleck (or ground chilli paste without garlic)
- 180g soba buckwheat noodles
- 1 cup edamame beans, shelled
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced into long strips
- 1 bok choy, chopped (or pak choy or spinach)
- 1-2 Tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 300 g firm tofu, drained and sliced
- Mix the oyster sauce, kecap manis and sambal oelek in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook the soba noodles according to the package instructions or until just tender. Add edamame and carrots for the last 2 minutes of the cooking time. Add the bok choy for the last 1 minute of the cooking time. Drain, then briefly rinse under cold tap water. Drain again, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan (or wok) on medium-high heat. Add half the tofu pieces and pan fry for 5 minutes (single layer), turning occasionally till evenly browned. Repeat with the second batch.
- Add all the tofu back into the pan with 2 Tbsp of the sauce mix. Gentle mix to coat each piece of tofu.
- Add the noodles, vegetables and remaining sauce. Toss for 2 minutes, ensuring everything is well coated.
- Divide into bowls and serve!