3 Healthy Low FODMAP Soups
With the days getting shorter and the weather cooler, there's nothing like a heartwarming soup to warm your tummy.
Here are three of our favourite quick and easy low FODMAP soups for the whole family. If you love them as much as we do, don't forget to tag @fodbods :)
LOW FODMAP CHILLI CHICKEN BROTH (with dumplings)
- 4 cups (1L) low FODMAP chicken stock (we use Massel stocks)
- 2 x 240g packets of frozen prawn hargow (we used Mr Chens)
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 4 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 sprigs of spring onion sliced thinly (green parts only)
- 4cm- piece of ginger, peeled cut into matchsticks
- Bring the stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the dumplings and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the oyster sauce, garlic infused olive oil, sriracha and sesame oil.
- Divide the dumplings and broth among 4 serving bowls
- Top with spring onion and ginger
LOW FODMAP VEGGIE LAKSA
Ingredients for the paste:
- 2 leek leaves thinly-sliced (only use the leaves)
- 1 large red chilli thinly-sliced (de-seeded)
- ½ square of shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp garlic infused oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 tsp turmeric
Ingredients for the Broth:
- 4 cups (1L) low FODMAP chicken stock (we use Massel stock)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 small Bok choy sliced roughly
- ¾ cup Broccoli (heads only)
- 150g Green beans
- 1 packet Vermicelli noodles
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets sliced into thin pieces (optional)
Ingredients for Garnish
- Bean sprouts
- Spring onions, thinly sliced (green parts only)
- Coriander and mint leaves
- 1 Lime
- In a small bowl combine leek, chilli, lemongrass paste, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter and turmeric. Set aside.
- Combine the oil and shrimp paste in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once combined, add the rest of the paste ingredients from the bowl and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer (optional: add chicken and stir occasionally for 10 minutes or until fully cooked)
- Add the bok choy, broccoli and green beans, cook for approx. 10 minutes
- While the soup is cooking, cook the vermicelli noodles according to instructions, then divide amongst 4 serving bowls.
- Add the coconut milk to the soup and cook for a final 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup over the noodles, top with bean sprouts, spring onion, coriander, mint and a squeeze of lime.
SIMPLE LOW FODMAP POTATO & LEEK SOUP
- 2 cups low FODMAP chicken stock (we use Massel stock)
- 1 tbsp garlic-infused olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter / vegetable spread
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme
- 1 ½ cups leek leaves, chopped (use leaves only)
- 3 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- Fresh Parsley to top
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: grated parmesan for serving
- Combine oil and 2 tbsp of butter in a large saucepan until melted then
- Add the leek and thyme and sauté until soft (approx. 10 minutes)
- Add the stock and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, then bring to a simmer. Continue to cook the soup for 10-20 minutes on a low heat or until the potatoes are tender
- Remove soup from the heat, let cool then blitz in a food processor until combined.
- Add soup back to the saucepan on a low heat. Stir in the coconut milk, remaining butter and extra salt if desired
- Ladle soup in a bowl and top with parsley and a crack of pepper (optional: cheese)