Haloumi Hash Burgers with Kale Aoili
I'm just going to put it out there – these are the best veggie burgers I've ever eaten. I hope you'll agree. My good friend shared this recipe with me and I'm now excited to share it with you.
These delicious Haloumi Hash Burgers are FODMAP friendly and gluten free. They take about 45 mins to make (it's worth it, trust me) and the recipe is enough for 4 burgers.
Hope you love them as much as I do. Please tag @Fodbods with your creations :)
- 200g desiree potatoes (peeled, grated and extra liquid squeezed out)
- 250g haloumi (grated)
- 1 tbs gluten free flour
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (do not use if intolerant to Mannitol)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 gluten free bread rolls
- Rocket (or baby spinach leaves)
- 1 tsp Sriracha (optional)
- 300g mayonnaise
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- Garlic infused olive oil (I used a splash of Cobram Estate)
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C and line a tray with baking paper
- In a large bowl, combine the grated potato, grated haloumi, egg and flour. Season with pepper.
- Divide mixture into 4 and shape into ~1 cm thick patties. Transfer to prepared tray and place on top shelf of oven. These will bake for ~30 minutes (or until golden)
- After ~15 minutes, drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt, then place on baking tray in the oven. Flip the patties while you're at it.
- For the kale aioli, boil the kale for 3 minutes then cool with water. Combine in food processor with mayonnaise, garlic infused oil and lemon juice.
- For the final 5 minutes, toast the rolls in the oven.
- To prepare the burgers, spread the roll bases with aioli, then top each with rocket, haloumi patty, mushroom, and sriracha (optional). Add roll lids and serve.