Salt & Pepper Tofu
FODMAP friendly, plant-based and gluten free! This recipe requires a little time, patience and love, but it’s definitely worth it. A great recipe to serve alongside fried rice and steamed vegetables to complete your meal.
Ingredients (serves 3)
- 500g firm tofu
- 1 tsp table salt
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- ¼ tsp ground fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp caster sugar
- 2 ½ Tbsp cornflour
- 3 Tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion (green part only), finely chopped
- Cut the tofu in half horizontally. Double wrap the tofu in a clean tea towel and place something heavy on top to press out the excess water (e.g. books, cast iron pan). Set aside for at least 30 minutes, then cut into small cubes.
- Mix the salt, white pepper, five spice, fennel seeds and caster sugar in a small bowl.
- Place the tofu cubes in a large bowl. Add 1 tsp of the spice mix and toss to coat. Sprinkle the cornflour over top, and toss again.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of the garlic infused olive oil in a nonstick frying pan over high heat. Using your hands, tap off the excess corn flour then place the tofu into the pan (single layer only).
- Using two spatulas (or wooden spoons), toss the tofu every 10 seconds for about 3 minutes. If the tofu is browning too quickly, turn down the heat.
- After 3 minutes, add another 1 Tbsp of garlic infused olive oil, and repeat until lightly golden and crispy.
- Turn down the heat to medium-high. Add the chillies and a 1 tsp of the spice mix, tossing for 1 minute.
- Place the tofu onto a serving plate or bowl, and sprinkle spring onion over top. Serve with rice and your favourite FODMAP friendly vegetables. If desired, sprinkle more spice mix over the tofu. Enjoy!