3 Hidden Veggie Packed Recipes for Fussy Eaters
Vegetables are rich in many important nutrients including fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They’re naturally low in sugar, sodium and fat, and can be very hydrating. The Australian Dietary Guidelines recommends 2 ½ serves for children aged 2-3 years old, 4 ½ serves for children aged 4-8 years old, and 5 serves for adults and children aged 9 and above. Shockingly, only 5% of Australians eat sufficient serves of vegetables.
Dealing with fussiness and food refusal (especially when it comes to veggies) can make meal times quite challenging for parents. That’s why we have developed 3 super easy and yummy recipes to make your life a little easier! They’re all low FODMAP and also perfect to meal prep - what more could you ask for?!
If you give any of them a go, please tag us @fodbods on Instagram :)
Classic Spaghetti Bolognese (serves 4)
Spag bol is a family favourite, however most traditional recipes include high FODMAP ingredients such as garlic, onion or mushrooms. This simple and nutritious recipe is so full of flavour, you’ll find it hard to believe it’s low FODMAP! But the best part is there’s five different veggies disguised in the sauce and your kiddies won’t even be able to find them! The mince mixture is also super versatile so feel free to use it for lasagne or shepherd's pie.
- 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded
- 1 tin plain diced tomatoes (be sure to check there’s no added garlic or onion)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250 g gluten free pasta
- Optional: grated cheese and chives (to serve)
- Heat a fry pan over high heat and add the oil and herbs (warning: this is going to make your house smell INCREDIBLE).
- After the herbs are toasted (approximately two minutes), add in the mince.
- Whilst the mince is cooking, add spinach, zucchini, carrot and capsicum to a blender and blend until a smooth puree is formed.
- Once the mince is browned, reduce to medium heat and add in vegetable puree, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and tomato paste. Leave to simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Whilst the sauce is simmering, cook pasta as directed.
- To serve, season with salt and pepper, grated cheese and chives (optional).
Chocolate Brownies (makes 16)
Who doesn’t love chocolate brownies? I know what you’re thinking, how can you possibly hide veggies in a brownie?! But just you wait… These moist and fudgey brownies are sooooo delicious. You gotta get in quick though because your kids are going to LOVE them!!
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 carrots, peeled
- ½ cup (90 g) dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp olive oil spread
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup oat flour (we just blended rolled oats to form the flour)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Steam the spinach and carrots until soft and then blend together to form a smooth puree.
- Melt the chocolate and olive oil spread together.
- In a large mixing bowl, add vegetable puree, chocolate mixture, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and egg whites. Stir until well combined.
- Fold through oat flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking tray and bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before dusting with icing sugar.
Berry Smoothie (serves 1)
Smoothies are quick and easy to make, they’re easy for you and the kiddies to have on the run, and easy to hide so much goodness - just easy all round! This smoothie is packed full of protein and fibre which is bound to keep you feeling fuller for longer!
Note: we recommend using frozen fruit to keep the smoothie thick and cool
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- 2 frozen spinach cubes
- ¼ cup lactose free yogurt
- 1 cup lactose free milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. It’s that easy - ENJOY!